Kannel quick installation
What is Kannel?
Kannel is an open source WAP and SMS gateway which runs on the Linux platform and provides a high level HTTP service for submitting SMS requests. It supports many protocols to connect with the SMSC and even supports the GSM modem.It is very popular because its very good performance to handle a huge SMS traffic.
Based on the results from Wapit’s test environment, we claim Kannel to be the fastest SMS and WAP gateway on the market, capable of handling several hundreds of requests per second.
This article explains how the gateway can be installed. The goal of this article is to get the gateway compiled and all the files in the correct places and one of the next articles will explain how the gateway is configured.
In this article we will use commands for Ubuntu/Debian.
- First we need to install packages:
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install build-essential
- sudo apt-get install bison
- sudo apt-get install libmysqld-dev
- sudo apt-get install libxml2-dev
- Now you can download latest version from Kannel website and unzip it to folder of your choice (e.g. /home/kannel). After extracting go to the directory where it is unzipped and run following commands:
- sudo ./configure –with-mysql
- sudo make
- sudo make bindir=/kannelpath/bin install
Next step is to install sqlbox and opensmppbox. Both are located in addons folder inside your kannel folder so you need to enter in each folder and run these three commands:
- sudo ./configure
- sudo make
- sudo make install
Kannel is installed and ready for the configuration.